Haldimand-Norfolk Women's Shelter
24 Hour Crises Line
An immediate and safe place for women and children in crises
Who is the battered woman?
She can be anybody - you, your sister, your mother, or the women next door.
Victims of wife abuse come from all walks of life - from every age, race and economic level.
What is wife abuse?
Wife abuse may start with a shove or slap. Once a pattern of abuse is accepted, the assaults can become more frequent and more violent. It can take the form of sexual abuse, physical battering, or emotional cruelty. It may result in permanent injury, and sometimes it ends in death.
Who can you turn to?
Haldimand-Norfolk Women's Shelter is a safe, supportive place for women of all ages with or without children. In order to protect the women who seek its safety, Haldimand-Norfolk Women's Shelter does not have a published address.
The shelter is open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. some come for a few hours or days, others stay longer.
What services are offered?
- Safe comfortable accommodations in a home like atmosphere.
- 24 hour crises line.
- Transportation if necessary.
- Crises counseling and emotional support.
- Information and referral to community agencies for financial, legal, marriage, family and medical counseling etc.
- An opportunity to discuss her situation with other women who are in similar circumstances.
- Advocacy Service for accompanying women to legal appointment and to court.
Who pays for this service?
There is no charge for those in need.
Funding is obtained from Regional and Provincial Governments, United Way, Numerous Community Groups and private donors.
Who operates the shelter?
It is operated by an executive director and 24 hour supportive staff and volunteers under the direction of an elected Board of Directors.